Back pain is a dull stabbing painful condition affecting the lower portion of the spine. Almost all young adults between 35-45 years working desk jobs tend to suffer from back pain. Studies suggest that 8 out of 10 people complain of back pain and women are more prone to it.
What Causes Back Pain?
1.Fracture to spine or accidental injuries.
2.Sedentary lifestyle and Overweight Excess weight puts pressure on the lower spine causing back pain.
3.Osteoporosis- Bones become brittle due to decrease in density of bones.
4. Emotional stress and anxiety- Due to stress muscle contraction takes place causing pain.
5.Poor posture- One of the most common causes of back pain is poor posture.
Poor posture can lead to various other problems of muscles, disc and joints and this stress to your spine can cause anatomical changes to the spine.
6.A family history of back pain and spine disorders.
What are the Symptoms?
2. Lower back pain spreading to legs.
3.Dull intermittent pain in lower back.
Can there be complications?
How can I prevent Back Pain?
1.Exercise regularly (Yoga is very effective in case of lower back pain)
2.Correct your posture
3. Take breaks while working on computers and stretch
4. Sit straight
5. Avoid heavy lifting.
Treating Back Pain
1.Painkillers: Your doctor may consult painkillers if your pain levels are high.
2.TENS (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation)
3.Chiropractic Treatment (non-surgical treatment of musculoskeletal and nervous system)
4.Bioelectrical therapy (relieves pain by stopping the pain messages to the brain)
Tips to Manage Back Pain at Work
1. Sit in correct posture with your back straight.
2. Make sure that your working table is at a comfortable height, so you can sit straight and work.
3. Take breaks between work and stretch/walk.
4. Use good support chair or use a pillow to keep your back straight.
5. Exercise regularly
6. Sleep in good posture and avoid very soft bedding.
Dr. Ganesh Reddiah Chunduri, MBBS, FRCS (Glasgow)Consultant Orthopedician, CallHealth
Have a question?Consult Dr. Ganesh online.